Have you noticed how bad window screens can get after not cleaning them for a few years. There is a correct way to clean them and no it’s not hosing them off while standing in front of the window with your hand in your pocket. If you want your window screens to look like new for years, you’re going to have to spend an afternoon with them at least once a year.
Things you will need to clean them
- Large sponge
- Dish soap
- Towels (for drying)
How to clean a window screen
We strongly suggest you clean one window screen at a time, because if you don’t and clean them all at once, it will be difficult to find the correct window each screen fits into on the house.
- Find a area with grass where your hose can reach.
- Go get a screen.
- Lay it down flat on the grass.
- Put the sponge in the bucket with dish soap and water.
- Grab the sponge and while screen lays flat on the grass, scrub it softly with sponge from side to side 2 or 3 times.
- Flip screen over and repeat step 5.
- Grab hose and rinse it off.
- Stand screen up and with a dry towel wipe it dry.
- Once you’ve dried it, you’re done with that screen.
- Go install it back in the correct window and continue by repeating step 2.
If you have screen doors, follow the same steps and you will have a clearer view and your screens will look and last much longer.